Wednesday, November 16, 2011
A little Jail Time
I think I have traumatized Jacob unintentionally. He is very afraid of going to jail. One day he was really being grumpy and downright mean to Austin and Holden. We were outside playing and right as I started to correct him a police officer was driving down our street. I told Jacob that I was going to ask that officer to come talk to him if he didn't settle down and treat his friend and brother the right way. Of course the officer drove right past and Austin and Holden continued playing but Jacob started panicking and really wanted to go inside. He told me later that he was afraid of that police man taking him to jail, which he pronounces "gail." Fast forward a few weeks and we are sitting in a parking lot and Austin's friend says "hey, why are those police men coming here?" Jacob starts screaming and crying with a terrified look in his eyes. He thinks the officers are taking him to jail!! I had to comfort him and reassure him that the police officers are our friends and they are supposed to protect us. We have had many discussions over this. Last week I heard him talking baby talk with Emily and then I hear in a very high pitch voice "It's okay Emmy, those police men will not take you to gail. You will be safe, it'll be okay." Then this week I heard Jacob and Austin fussing and next thing I know Jacob is crying and scared because Austin told him that he was going to call the police if Jake didn't do what he wanted!! Oh boy!!! I wish I had never made that comment, it was so casual and I thought perfect timing but I didn't mean to cause all this!! I have to laugh and I do like hearing Jake call jail "gail," it's pretty funny!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment